2.21.2016

The Slow Methodical Process of Kit-Bashing a Metro Station

As noted in my last post, track (and the related elevated track structure) is on hold until I figure out the precise electrical requirements to automate the metro trains.  On the other hand, I was able to make some progress, albeit somewhat slow, on the metro station itself.
I am using Walther's Northern Light's Power Station as the early 20th Century inspired basis for the elevated station. Its not as long as I needed, nor do the windows align properly, so some cutting and kit-bashing has been required.
First, I had to decide that in order to have the proper elevation for the track level, I would need to add at least 15mm of space between the windows on the ground level. Fortunately, this Walther's kit is made of fairly soft plastic to cutting and filing is not a big issue.

I initially planned on having five windows centered on a central lobby, but I couldn't figure out how to have the right pedestrian entrance on the ground floor; the Kato structure - that was the original inspiration (and will still likely donate some parts) - has a large entrance with stairways which I like a lot.

Ken (of the fabulous Sumida Crossing blog) left a comment (see? I read and listen to comments! At Quinntopia, we're all about listening! :-) )  that inspired me to open up the ground level some more, and be less focused on lining up windows with interiors (if you read his comment on this post, you'll see what he means).
I also decided to lengthen the structure so the entire Metro train will be in the station, so a second Northern Light building was ordered and sacrificed to kit-bashing to help complete the station.  I originally planned on have the second Norther Light station used for the 'back site of the station, but now I'm not so sure.  Basically, I'm tired of spending money on kits and don't want to order a third, but I expect I may have to!

The photo at the top of this post shows the general look that Latveria Station will ultimately have.  Lot's of 'open space' for parking/pedestrians, and nice open entrance to the station proper.  I've also ordered some girders and other etched brass detail pieces which I think this project will require to get the right look.  This is starting to get fun! Some projects (I have found) are good ideas that require more effort, but then it seems like a 'tipping point' is reached where you find a newfound enthusiasm and vision for the project and it really starts to get FUN!  That's where I'm at now. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jerry, great to see you building something again !

    That is going to be a great looking station. Yes, I have noticed the kits sure have gone up in price in recent years and when you need more than one for a particular project it adds up quick.

    Will be following with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete