Baldwin RF-16 "Sharknose" diesels!
great post on the JNS Forum for this) yesterday, I was feeling confident enough to take a crack at this locomotive. I tried several searches to see if there were any recorded experiences of this engine's conversion to DCC on the internet (in any language!), but I couldn't find any, so I knew I was on my own!
First, I'm starting to get a LOT more comfortable with the basics of decoder installation. Essentially the main thing with a decoder install is that you need to install the decoder between the rail pickups and the motors (and ensure the ONLY contact between the motor and the electrical pickups is through the decoder wires!). Everything else is just details.
With that in mind, I studied the locomotive for awhile to get a sense for how I could try and accomplish a decoder install on this engine. The most noticeably thing about the motor and interior is there is a circuit board with four wire leads which, by examining, I determined were all power supply from the rails. Knowing that these are my electrical pickup leads from the rails, I looked for the contact between these and the motor. Ah hah! Two brass strips extend down from the decoder to two prongs which come out of the closed motor casing. All the other circuitry on the circuit board appeared to me to be for enabling the light bulbs.