2.07.2016

Metro Line Progress and Latveria Station Decisions

I completed one of the gradual curves for the metro line that will link it to the 'turnaround' curve. This was decidedly challenging as I needed a curve that wasn't based of a track radius (flex track will go on this part).   After some time thinking about how to create this very slight 's' curve, I finally decided to cut the center portion of the curve from a larger sheet of Sintra.  This formed the 'spine' of the structure, and I then glued by Styrene cross beams onto this. It worked!

The below picture shows how everything will eventual 'line up'.  The red surface areas is going to be where the station platform will be.
I also did a 'test' to see how well my Kato Ginza Metro Line train will perform on the Minitrix R1 radius curves....and I don't think there will be any problems.  Granted, I don't think I want to even think of going more narrow than R1, but it seems to just work on this tight radius! Whew!  As you can see in the below photo, I also test to ensure that my track distance was adequate (I'm pretty much going with the 'default' different for these Minitrix curves, so I didn't anticipate any issues, but you never know!).

What has become a little bit of a mental challenge is the construction of Latveria Station.  As I mentioned in my last post, the Kato 23-125 Elevated Station is too modern and also too large for what I want with Latveria station.  So I'm going to be using Walthers Northern Light structure to create a brick structure/facade for the station.  This is completely freelance, based on what I think an old Metro line station should look like, the closest real world example found in the real world (and the internet!) is Hackescher Markt S-Bahn Station.
The challenge I am trying to work through is how (and IF) to align the brick facades, portals, windows, with the 'interiors' - particularly the stairs and so forth.  I think I like the idea of a more open, pedestrian area such as the Kato station is designed, but nothing lines up well with the Northern Light brick facades - which means I need to do a lot of cutting and splicing, or go a different route with the interior altogether.  Hmmmm.
Stay tuned. Perhaps next week I'll have made a decision!

2 comments:

  1. I like the look of the track (and the Ginza train!), and that brick facing. And that S-Bahn station looks like an interesting prototype, even if you don't follow it exactly.

    Something to consider if you have the space: put the facing a bit away from the interior. Lots of shop complexes will have a corridor just inside the windows so people can have the feel of an outdoor arcade and still be protected from the weather. That way, the store fronts and brick archways don't need to line up. It can just look like they rebuilt the interior and kept the exterior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jerry, you could add a third rail to your elevated line:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Greenmax-No-2125-Third-Rail-1-150-N-scale-/351598458653?hash=item51dce6b71d:g:NEsAAOxyHt9R17vI

    Misha

    ReplyDelete