As a follow on to my 'Landscape Repair' post earlier this month, scenery work on this area continues to a point where I'm starting to feel good about this end of the layout!
I used my home 'built' static grass applicator (you know, the conversion
of those electric bug zapper things) with traditional flock powder on
most of this area of the layout. Its not a perfect applicator (in fact,
it stopped working about halfway through, which means I need to get
another bug zapper!), but I have found that after applying the long
strands of flock, a dusting of flock powder over the top fills things in
Although I did use a combination of some of the 'sheets' of foliage materials available as well. The hillside on the left of the below photo uses some long-grass material that comes in sheets, and on the right is some of the foliage sheets I've used in the past (sort of giving an 'ivy-covered' hillside look.
The below photo shows the results of the fake 'electro-static' grass applicator combined with traditional flock powder and some very fine grey ballast material for the gravel road (I forget the brand, but the standard Woodland Scenics ballast is way too course for gravel roads, but this material is almost a rock 'powder' and works well for dirt roads, etc...). The photo may be too small to tell, but if you click on it, you get a larger version.