Weathering of rolling stock is yet another aspect of this hobby which interests me. But putting a brush to these beautiful looking cars and locos also terrifies me! Nevertheless, the amazing results that you can see of weathered rolling stock have motivated me to give it a try.
This forum is quite inspirational. Some really breathtaking realism is on display there. The below video is one of the finest tutorials on weathering I've yet seen.
- relatively cheap,
- markings from Era 3 or so, and
- look way too clean for both their purpose and age
Here is a 'before' shot (taken a couple of years ago, but its the best photo I have of the cars before I started weathering them):
Overall, I would rate the result and experience a 6 out of 10. I didn't necessarily follow all the steps and advice (and there's a lot of different methods to weather, so it can be a bit overwhelming) but used what I had read or watched along with the materials I had on hand to try out some techniques and do the best job I could.
The first step was to apply a lighter shade of the 'red-brown' of the cars to give the paint that aged and sun-faded look. This is such a common feature of rolling stock and locos that it was something I was very curious to test. I mixed some Tamiya Red Brown's with some Tamiya Buff to get a color that was similar to the cars. I then mixed a bit of Tamiya's Clear Gloss with the mixed color. The reason for this was to dilute the amount of pigment in the paint with the clear gloss so that when I sprayed the color it would give a nice even, yet somewhat transparent, tone.
After applying this coat with my airbrush, I then used some rust powders to rust some of the parts where rust would occur. I then attempted to use Testor's Dullcoat to lock in the powders and remove the glossy sheen from the previous airbrush coats.
This is where things did not go as well as I would have liked. I'm not clear on what happened, but the Testor's Dullcoat did at least two things that I did not like:
- It seemed to have caused the earlier Tamiya colors to fade and run.
- Even worse, it would not cover the cars evenly. I tried to apply with several light coats, but I consistently would get 'pock marks' of areas where the Dullcoat did not adhere and the glossy undercoat was still visible. Not a good look at all. You can see this 'pockmark' effect on the right side of the car below.
Fortunately, this is 'weathering' so there is a bit more tolerance for these sort of glitches than in any other type of finish application!
From this point, it was part 'damage control' and part experimentation. My primary media at this pont was rusting powder, which I used to rub into any of the pockmark or pits in the laquer, and a wash of Burnt Umber, Brown, and dark Grey (oil paints with lighter fluid was my wash solution). I continually applied various combinations to try and get a look that appeared right.
The final result, taken outside, is below.